In a news conference Wednesday, I joined with Senate Republican Leader John Braun and Republican budget lead Sen. Lynda Wilson, to announce our Recovery Washington proposals to combat our state’s growing drug crisis. You can click here to read about details.
These bills emphasize crisis management and treatment. Provisions include:
- A mapping system to identify where needs are greatest, to better allocate state resources.
- An expert panel to identify trends and make recommendations.
- Funding for local law enforcement drug task forces.
- Funding for treatment programs.
- Improved monitoring of court-mandated treatment programs.
- A public awareness/education campaign aimed at youths and adults.
Other proposals also have been introduced this year by our colleagues in the Senate and the House. All of us who serve in the Legislature are concerned about this problem, and it is not a partisan issue. Everyone in Washington likely knows someone who has been affected by this plague of addiction and overdose. By bringing our best ideas forward, and working cooperatively in Olympia, we can help end this epidemic of heartbreak and grief.
Thanks for reading — it is an honor serving you!
Sen. Chris Gildon, 25th Legislative District
Deputy Leader, Senate Republican Caucus
MAILING ADDRESS: P.O. Box 40425/ Olympia, WA 98504
LEAVE A MESSAGE ON THE LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE: 1-800-562-6000
NOTE: Written communications are subject to disclosure under the Washington Public Records Act.